Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Minnie


When I was staying at my parents last month, I spent a lot of time with Minnie, their dog.  She helped me cope with the trauma of my dad being in the hospital and nursing homes due to his injury.  She also helped me to grieve the loss of my beloved cat, Chocolate.

Minnie loved to sit on my lap or next to me, soaking up the love and attention I gave her as I scratched and petted her.  I took her for walks throughout my parents large property numerous times a day, keeping watch over her, for I didn't want anything bad to happen to her while she was under my care.  

She even tried to sleep with me a couple of times.  She had never attempted it before.  I wondered if her previous owners wouldn't let her.  And with my parents desire to keep the furnishings consistent in their Early American Colonial home, the beds are unusually high.  But one night when it was stormy, she managed to jump on the bed.  But a few hours later she jumped off.  I don't know how well that went as there was such a clatter, probably due to the slippery wood floors.  That didn't stop her from trying again another stormy night!  Minnie is terribly afraid of storms.  She stays close to us, trembles, and hides under the bed.

She is a good hunter.  She caught and killed four juvenile groundhogs!  She loves to run around outside, barking at all the critters to stay away, this is her property!  

In the mornings after my mom left to care for my dad, she came into my room and whined for me to get up.  At first I got up and tried to sleep on the couch with her, but I couldn't.  So I decided she was going to have to accept that I needed more sleep.  I think after a few times she realized I wasn't going to get up until I was ready!  

But she sure brightened my day.  I couldn't help but smile when I got up or when I came home.  She jumped all over and was so excited to see me.  

I am home now and am glad to be in my own bed.  But I do miss her in the mornings.  I think that was the only time I ever actually wanted to get up.  Usually I hate mornings, I just want to lay in my cocoon.  She kept me going, walking her outside and such.  I just enjoyed hanging out with her.  And I didn't mind her kisses on my face.  I love them!  

But I don't want to get a dog here.  The summers are too short and I would have to go outside with the dog all the time for potty.  And I hate winters and I hate the cold.  Where Minnie lives, I just had to let her out and she never ran away.  

She is a good dog.  I am glad my dad is home now, for Minnie sure missed him.  And I know he missed her.  But she was a great help to me during that time, and I am very thankful for that.  

No comments: