Tuesday, December 30, 2014

New Years Day


It's a Wonderful Life is one of my most favorite movies.  And the end scene is one of my most favorite scenes.  Here everyone in the house sings "Auld Lang Syne."  This moves me to tears every time.

I wondered what the song meant, so I looked online and found that auld lang syne is Scottish for days of long ago. 

I think the song is fitting for this scene as the community remembers all that George has done for them, and have not forgotten him in his time of need.  In that regard, George "is the richest man in town," as his brother Harry said.

We sing this song at New Years Eve parties right before the clock strikes midnight.  I wonder if we really even know what  it means, or if it is just a catchy ditty to sing as we raise our glasses to ring in the old year.

I always find myself singing it at the end of the movie and long after, the song playing over and over in my head.

Now I know what auld lang syne means, I appreciate now even more.

The holidays always remind me of pets of long ago and my grandparents.  I miss them all and even more so during these days.  I hope I never forget all they've done for me.

That is why I tell my parents I will never put them in a home.  I wished I could have taken care of my grandparents when they needed help.  And why I volunteer and advocate for animals.  For my pets have given me such love and companionship over the years, this is my way of giving back.

New Years is about reflecting on the past, yet also looking forward to the future.  I look back on the loss of my cat, Chocolate.  I look forward to being a published author someday. 

I am blessed to have had such a great life. I achieved a college degree.  I had a career.  I have my own home.  I have a great family.  I have wonderful friends.  I traveled all around Europe. 

I have a warm bed to sleep in at night.  Clothes to protect me from the cold.  And food in the cupboards to fill my belly.  I have people in my life who have been there for me, through all the commitments that one makes in their marriage vows.  And I have people who I have had the privilege to help in some way. 

I am truly blessed.






No comments: