Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Advent #3







Advent is the season for waiting.  I have been waiting these days.  Waiting to see if I get any response from an agent or a publisher.  Waiting for the day I will finally be emotionally ready to foster or adopt a pet.  These are minimal though compared to what the world is waiting for.

This past Sunday I watched "60 Minutes" with my family.  They had a segment about Syrians making a documentary about the civil war going on there.  They displayed videos of animals suffering and dead children.  I started so sob as I sat there, not being able to control the emotions that flowed through me.  I don't know if I am just more sensitive these days because of Chocolate's death.  But I cry so easily, especially when I see or hear of children and animals suffering in any way.  They are so vulnerable and helpless.  They depend on us to protect them and keep them safe.  I felt so vulnerable and helpless myself.  It was hard for me to separate myself from them, and it left me shaken for the rest of the night.

I said to my mom how hard it is to live with so much evil.  It made me sick, and broke my heart.  I felt such despair for the victims.  At that time I forgot who is in control.

Longfellow wrote "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" during the Civil War.  When I read the lyrics tonight, it was just the right song that conveyed what I wanted to say.


And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men."

No comments: