Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Advent #2


Last night I watched a rerun of Big Bang Theory, the last episode of last season.  Here Sheldon is faced with many changes out of his control: his roommate is engaged and he no longer believes in string theory.  Sheldon is VERY resistant to change, especially when it is not of his doing.  He finds he can't cope and decides to embark on train travel across the country.

I cried as I watched this episode as I am facing changes of my own.  The most being that my beloved cat died two months ago, my own roomie.  The one I was too dependent on the fill the need in my heart for someone to share my life with.  Also the Animal Humane Society is making changes to the adoption process which affects me as a volunteer.  The change itself is not the problem.  It is rather that they are having all the staff and volunteers use radios with headsets, which have ear pieces to put in the ear.  This is a problem for someone who wears hearing aids.  Even regular headsets would be a problem as the ear covers would cause my hearing aids to ring in my ears, which also happens when I hug people. I can't imagine I would be the only one with this problem.  I hope they can figure something out. 

Why am I writing this when the title is Advent?  Because advent is about change.  The second week is about preparing our hearts for transformation by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Change is hard, even good change, and sometimes we resist it.  I know I do. 

But that is what life is about: change.  God changes us.  We change our selves.  We even try to change others, which is futile.  But I know that I can't change anything, or cope with change, without God.  I am hopeless and helpless without Him.

I don't know what the future holds for me.  It feels weird to not have a pet here.  I keep forgetting that I don't have to feed him or change his litter.  But even then I miss those things, even cleaning up his poop and puke.  I miss everything about him.

It's like trying to make new friends.  It takes a lot of time and energy.  I loved everything about Chocolate because we had a relationship, so I readily and willingly coped with the problems.  But with a new pet I just missed my old one.  I just wanted Chocolate back.

We never seem to appreciate what we have until we lose it, don't we.  We think something else will make us happier.  But now I finally agree that  nothing on this earth will fill that space in my heart except Jesus.

Maybe this is God's way of preparing my heart for Him. 



Prepare the way
Prepare the way
Prepare the way of the Lord

Jesus...
Jesus...
Jesus...
Jesus...

You are the light of the world
You are the light of the world
You are the light of the world

Jesus...
Jesus...
Jesus...
Jesus...

You are the King of the earth
You are the King of the earth
You are the King of the earth

Jesus...
Jesus...
Jesus...
Jesus...


No comments: