Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Critquing my Novel

After writing the first draft of my story,  I needed to get some feedback from fellow writers.  I found out about scribophile, which is a free critiquing website for writers.  Before I could post however, I had to critique others' writing.  The site gave me specific items to critique and helped me to write my comments in a concrete way.  If the writer appreciated my critique, I received points so that with so many points I could finally post my writing and get feedback from others.  This was most helpful as the critiques were helpful and thoughtful.  I had tried other sites in the past and they were not helpful as they either were too vague or too mean! 

Next, I took an online class from the Loft Literary Center, which is in Minneapolis, MN.  They do have workshops on site, but I took an online Novel Writing one.  I received helpful but vague feedback from the teacher and the other students.  The readings every week were from other writers about their process.  I found these to be boring and not helpful.  I took a class from the Loft last year that I learned a lot from, so I was disappointed that this didn't meet my expectations.

Final note, Writer's Digest has lots of online writing workshops, some that I took.  They are informative and I learned a lot.  I recommend these over the Loft if you are a beginning writer.  The Loft is for those who have some writing experience or education.

Quote for the week: the Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. It took me many years to figure out what the difference was.  But here it is: I can only control me, and only parts of me: my attitude, thoughts, feelings, and will.  I can't change what I was born with, but I can change what I do with it.

No comments: