Thursday, September 12, 2013

Introduction to my Dysfunctional Writing Process

In my research about how to write a novel, I read the writer should have a blog and post about the process.  Well, I already have a blog, so here is the process! 

The first thing you must know is that I don't have a clue what I am doing!  I think I am crazy to attempt this, but I was inspired last spring, and am determined not to give up, for that is my M.O. 

I have been writing for a few years, taking online writing workshops and writing short stories, articles, and poems, and managing to have them published online, in one mag, and in one anthology.  The total benefits of my efforts?  Fifty bucks!  But I keep telling myself I have to start somewhere and I'm not in it for the money.  If I was I would have stuck to computer programming in college. 

No, I have always wanted to write, but never had the guts to, until my career options were limited to assembly or office.  Neither of which appealed to me, and of which with my short stature and crazy hands, would make both difficult.  So, I thought, what the heck, why not try writing and see what happens?  What have I got to lose?

I hate when people ask what do you do and I say I am a writer.  I feel like I am joking.  Me?  A writer?   I can't possibly be in the same profession as my favorites, like Harper Lee, Khalid Hosseini, the Bronte sisters, or even the Bible writers.  As any artist, as a writer I am a dime a dozen, one of the many hopeless and hapless mass who delude themselves into thinking they have something to offer.  I really don't know myself.  I often doubt my abilities, wondering if my family is just being nice about my writing.  You know how it is.  It's like those people who try out for American Idol and they totally stink, but are convinced and have been told by loved ones they can sing.  I don't want to be deluded like that. 

But then again, I am too hard on myself, I am my own worst enemy, my mother says.  I am a perfectionist, come from a long line of perfectionists. 

Before I close, I just want to say, "by the grace of God go I."  So, here goes.

No comments: