Monday, January 21, 2019

Love


As you can see I finished my painting and got it framed.  In case you forgot, beloved is what my name, Amy, means.  I used to hate my name until I found out what it meant. I think I thought it was too boring.  

I have been thinking about love lately.  I have been thinking about how spiritual gifts, ones that are listed in  the Bible, are bestowed on us through the Holy Spirit.  I used to think that my gifts were for me.  But later I learned that the gifts are for others.  They are a way for us to love God and others.  It reminds me of those verses in the Bible, in I Cor. 13, of how these gifts are great to have and use, but if love isn't in the center of them, then they are useless.  

I also thought about encouragement.  It is so easy to be negative sometimes, I know it is for me.  I often think negative thoughts, and sometimes speak negative words.  And I regret them now.  I know that a negative word is as intense as surgery without anesthesia.  But a positive word is like a sunny day or a hot bath.  It has been said that it takes so many positive words to counteract one negative one.  That is so true.  Negative words sting and take away your hope.

Finally,  I thought about the 5 love languages, popularized by Gary Chapman.  We respond to different avenues of love.  Some people respond to loving words, while others respond to loving actions, and so forth.  I always say talk is cheap.  But then I am contradicting myself when I just got done writing about how a negative word can steal hope!  Nevertheless, love can be demonstrated in various ways, not just words and actions, but also time, gifts, and serving.  It is helpful to know how people respond so we can show love in a way that is meaningful for them.  

I know this is a weird combination about love, but I think that there could always be more love in the world.  No matter how great we may have it, it is too easy to judge others.  I know I do, and I regret that as well. I think it's because it is hard for me to receive love and compliments.  I've always been so hard on myself.  But I am trying to feel good about myself.  Like I am quite pleased about my painting above.  It's not perfect, but I like it and I have it hanging in my bedroom.  

No comments: