Wednesday, January 16, 2019

It's a Wonderful Life


Two days ago I went to a funeral for a friend's father.  I was nervous about going as I wondered if I would know anybody, and I always get nervous that I am going to say or do the wrong thing.  It was the church that I went to when I was a teen, and I hadn't been back there since except for another funeral.  

But I was worried for nothing.  I saw a lot of people that I knew, and they were all so nice and welcoming.   They seemed genuinely happy to see me.  And I was happy to see them.  I had forgotten what community felt like, and when I do get to experience it, it is like a waterfall of grace washing over me.  Even though I had some issues with the church, it was and still is the people who give it light.  They truly are the light of the world, as it says in the Bible.

And I was impressed by the stories about my friend's father.  I knew him, I used to go to my friend's house a lot when we were growing up.  In fact, she is the one who told me about Jesus.  I loved to go to their house with their family of many fun-loving sisters and one brother, and a cat and a dog.  It was an old house full of curious nooks and crannies that I liked to explore.  The family was also so friendly and welcoming to me, I even felt a part of it.  

And hearing these many stories and seeing all the many people at the funeral, I came to realize that my friend's father made a difference in many people's lives.  It reminded me of one of my favorite movies, It's a Wonderful Life, and how like George in the movie, my friend's father had many friends and helped many people.  George was rich because he had friends, and so was this father. 

It reminded me that that's what life is about, people.  And making a difference in their lives.  We read about these great people who do great things.  But most of us are rather ordinary, just living our everyday lives.  But maybe that's what it's all about.  Making a difference where you are at, using what gifts you have been given.  

I hope I remember this always, especially when I am anxious or depressed.  I hope I remember that's what life is about, making a difference even in our own small ways.

No comments: