Monday, October 10, 2016

Lay Your ____ on the Altar


I read this book years ago about a woman whose son wound up in jail for a prolonged period.  She worried about him constantly, until she was reminded of the story in the Bible about how Abraham almost sacrificed his son, Issac, on the altar of God.  

I used to think this was a macabre story, which it still is.  But it also teaches me that I can't hold on to people or things that don't belong to me.  I can't fix people, I can't control what they say or do, although I very much want to.  But then again, I am not God, and I would make a very terrible one.  So I constantly have to choose to lay my worries on the altar of God, trusting that He knows what He is doing, trusting that He loves His creation more than I do, and I just have to let go.  It is so hard to let go.  But I know I can't hold on.  I can't do this life on my own. 

So I keep trying to remember that fateful day so long ago, when Abraham was about to make the toughest decision of his life, and try to be like him.  To trust God and let go.  

No comments: