Wednesday, May 21, 2014

College Friends



A few weeks ago I found four of my old college friends on Facebook.  I have missed these lovely ladies for so long, I am so glad I found them again!  It has been a treat to read about them and their busy lives.  How they are all married with children, some already grown up!  Now that makes me feel old!  Yet, they all look the same as twenty years ago.  Maybe a bit more mature, not from age, but from the wisdom that life brings.  I hope I look that way too.

Karla was my roommate and best friend.  We were so different but had the same goofy sense of humor.  She was there for me all the times I was depressed, stressed out, or coping with quack doctors.  She was the sweetest person you'd ever meet.

Karen was my Bible study leader.  I admired her and considered her a mentor.  When it was time to gain a new Bible study leader, I didn't want to.  I felt like it was a loss not a gain.  Karen was so real and honest.  She saw her mentees as equal and we were a great group of friends. 

Sarah was Karen's roommate and best friend.  She was wise beyond her years and gave me such helpful spiritual advice.  Such a welcoming and compassionate woman.  Although she was smart she never acted like she was better than the rest of us.

Kristi was my roommate when I graduated and lived in Fargo for six months before I had to move back home.  She and I were also so different but she was so welcoming and accepting, as was her family when I visited them. 

All these friends demonstrated to me what a friend is.  Someone who is loving and accepting.  Someone who listens and doesn't try to fix things.  Someone who encourages instead of lecturing.

They understood my depression and anxiety.  They didn't resent the fact my parents had money.  They just loved me for me.

How rare that is these days.  It is hard to find a friend with all these qualities.  It shouldn't be, but it is.  Why is that?  Why do we make it so difficult?  Maybe living in the dorms and eating in the cafeteria made us closer.  We were together all the time, so they saw all of me: the good, the bad, and the ugly.  And they didn't care.  They didn't complain about the weird noises I made.  They didn't tell me to "cheer up" or "get over it."  They didn't preach at me or make me feel guilty.  They just loved me.

And I love them.

And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never
'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long
To live as friends

No comments: