Wednesday, May 10, 2017

9-11 Museum and Memorial

My family and I finally made the journey to NYC, admonishing my father to not fall off any more tractors!  We did the usual Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Central Park, Rockefeller Square, and Times Square.  But the one place that moved me to take pictures and now to write, was the 9-11 Museum and Memorial.  Please note that I can't find info on the pictures I took, so I am going on memory.  I encourage every American to see this stirring museum themselves.  


This was the last pillar standing in the attacks.  The numbers are those who perished in each first responder departments.
                                    


These are the survivor's stairs, where hundreds of people were able to escape the towers.








 On the left is part of the TV and radio antennae from the towers.

On the right is an elevator motor from the towers.  






On the left is a marker that was made after the first WTC attack in 1993.  On the right is a set of many girders that melted and bent from the heat and the collapse.   











On the left is a window from a plane.  On the right is a fire truck that was at the scene. 








After the attacks, there were missing posters all over the city.  The right is a quote to remember those who lost their lives on this horrendous day.  "No day shall ever erase you from the memory of time,"  from Virgil. 





These are the memorial pools.  The towers fell on these very sites.  All the names of the victims engraved around the pools.  






My pictures do not do the museum justice, and these are just a few of the remnants found there.  I hope that as in the Holocaust, we will never forget.  This is my generation's Pearl Harbor, and we must never waiver from the duty to remember those who lost their lives on that fateful day.  And we must never forget.


No comments: