Monday, September 12, 2016

I'm Weird


I was looking at my YouTube last night and saw that there was a collection of trailers for Miss Peregrine's House for Peculiar Children.  I read all of these books and loved them, so I am excited for this movie to come out!  I enjoyed them so much because I was a peculiar child.  Although I had no superpowers like they did, I was weird, and am still.  I am part of the minority.

I am single and childless, and never been asked on a date, unless you count the homeless guy.  I don't have to work, but I want a career.  I live in an apartment, for I don't have the desire, time, or money to own my own home.  I am over educated and underemployed (OK, I guess that's pretty common these days). I was born with a rare genetic disorder.  I have anxiety and depression (that's not so weird either).  I know a lot of trivia crap.  I like to say I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot.  I'm not a girly girl, but hate sports.  I am a clean and organized freak.  I am an introvert.  I love healthy food and hate junk food.  I have IBS but not constipation.  I collect Barbies.  I hate romantic books and movies. I love Star Wars and Justice League.  I am a creature of habit.

I also have an aversion to  odd numbers, fuzz, lint, yarn , string, and thread.  I am fussy about my socks and underwear.  Although I live in MN and have been here all my life and don't plan to move, I hate winter.  Although I live in the Halloween capital of the world (Anoka), I hate Halloween.  I am not a morning person, so I prefer to go to church at night.  I hate pumpkin!

I ask questions about why everyone and everything has to be the same.  Why do all the stores and restaurants have pumpkin crap in the fall?  What about apple?  Why do most churches not have singles groups or evening services?  Why do people assume everyone has dated and had their first love?  Why do people use sports analogies, as if we all know what they are talking about?

I guess when these things happen, I am reminded that I am weird, that I am different.  I can't help but be who I am.  It took me about 40 years to finally like myself, I don't want to go back to hating myself or my life.  

Why?  Because life it is a gift that can be taken away at an instant.  And I just don't want to be like everyone else now. I like being different.  I like using my brain and deciding for myself what I believe, feel, or think.  I respect differences and weirdness.  My whole family is that way, so I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.  As I used to tell my niece who would laugh and say, "You're so weird!"  I responded, "Well, at least I'm not boring!"

So even though I am constantly reminded that I am different and don't quite fit in with the general public, I like me.  

No comments: