Monday, May 2, 2016

Why I Write


I read a post from a fellow blogger, who was lamenting that he worries about how well or poorly received his new book was.  I know how that feels.  I self-published 3 books last year and got little to show for it.  I did get one response from a publisher who was interested in my memoir, but after having an overpaid lawyer look at the contact, I was advised that it was not good, so I declined.  I don't regret that.  At that time, my dad had fallen and was in the hospital, and I had already decided to get my certificate in teaching ABE/ESL.  

I encouraged this fellow blogger with something I tell myself when I am discouraged about my writing.  As I write my blog, week in and week out, I wonder why I bother when I get so little response.  But once in a while, someone outside my family and friends will thank me for my post, and I am encouraged that although that one person may not seem like much, they are of infinite worth to God.  And I am reminded that I don't write to make money or be famous, although that would be cool. I write to hopefully make a difference in this world, however small.  

So don't feel like what you do doesn't make a difference.  We all have a story to tell, a life to live, a gift to give.  It may not seem like much.  But it matters to God. And it matters to that one person you give to.  So don't give up, don't give in.  Keep doing what you do.  If you love it, and you are good at it.  If it makes you forget all the problems in your life, and you feel like you can rise above it.  Don't stop.  You can make a difference.  

No comments: